Friday, July 27, 2012

The Chains of Gossip

 Perhaps the most eye opening thing to the state of my own tongue is when false and maybe some not so false rumours are being spread about me. [The he said, she said that the other person said game is always very catchy and usually gets additions at each stop and it's quite easy to involve ourselves at some of these stops]
 These things have happened to me and though it makes you feel like a victim, I have to ask myself; What are you teaching me God? I have often asked God to search my heart and show me where my heart's condition needs fixing. I now believe HE allowed some of these things to do just that!
 First of all,  I need to  live my life in such a way that when untrue things are being said, those who know me will not believe it. (Obviously , I haven't arrived to that point) If I only gave positive reports, then when someone says I did otherwise, others will surely know the truth in there hearts.
 I however have failed to only give good reports by uplifting ALL those around me.  I cannot put my finger on anything specific right now but I know in my own heart I have failed.
 God forgives though and continues to give me chances! I thank Him for that and want to take the chance to encourage others!  By the grace of God, I will not start conversations that do not edify and build others up and to also not comment on conversations around me that tear others down.  Doing so becomes a stumbling block to the people we are around. I know because I have stumbled over this sort of stuff! Having stumbled though is a reminder to myself that I too am am guilty of sin. It's no wonder I needed Jesus so much!
It really is what is in the heart that comes out of the mouth and the tongue really is a dangerous weapon and can also cause accidents. Through those accidents the love we are to have in God's family is shaken and often broken. This will effect the whole body!
 However, we don't have to dwell on our pass mistakes for the rest of our lives because Jesus already took the punishment for us! HE forgives us if we believe on Him and ask for that forgiveness. BUT , if I want my sins forgiven, I need to also forgive!  FORGIVENESS= FREEDOM!  I am not holding anyone in bondage and I am not being held!  GOOD NEWS, INDEED!

 A few verses I read:
Proverbs 6:16-19 There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 1.Haughty eyes, 2. a lying tongue, And 3. hands that shed innocent blood, 4. A heart that devises wicked plans, 5. Feet that run rapidly to evil, 6. A false witness who utters lies, And 7. one who spreads strife among brothers. (Notice that the one who spreads strife is different than a false witness who is a liar.The following verses will reveal how such things as GOSSIP and SLANDER "spread strife among brothers." )

Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Proverbs 25:9-10, 23 Argue your case with your neighbor, And do not reveal the secret of another,Or he who hears it will reproach you, And the evil report about you will not pass away. The north wind brings forth rain, And a backbiting tongue, an angry countenance. (Backbiting is revealing the secrets of another, causing strife.)

Proverbs 26:20-28 For lack of wood the fire goes out, And where there is no whisperer, contention quiets down.
21 Like charcoal to hot embers and wood to fire, So is a contentious man to kindle strife.
22 The words of a whisperer are like dainty morsels, And they go down into the innermost parts of the body.
23 Like an earthen vessel overlaid with silver dross Are burning lips and a wicked heart.
24 He who hates disguises it with his lips, But he lays up deceit in his heart.
25 When he speaks graciously, do not believe him, For there are seven abominations in his heart.
26 Though his hatred covers itself with guile, His wickedness will be revealed before the assembly.

This is what God showed me, through my own life lessons, both through times where I needed to forgive and where I needed to be forgiven!




1 comment:

  1. Great word and wonderful reminder of just how important it is that we choose our words wisely! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete